Sunday, January 08, 2006

Collage Theme - World Views


In this series of collages, I have tried to capture my emotional response to other lands and cultures. This collage is called Out of Africa. It is very simple in strong earthy colours with a fibre and African bead trim.


I read the book Memoirs of a Geisha and now I am looking forward to seeing the film. I have been fascinated with Asian culture ever since I came to Australia in the 60s, where I was first exposed to it. I have used origami in my art many times, including making folded boxes to give as art gifts. This collage uses amn origami geisha doll, fibres and handmade Japanese papers.



The Emerald Forest was one of my favourite films of all time. This collage started with the image of the Indian `being invisible' in his covering of leaves. I used fibers and corrugated card in the background, with green glass mosaic pieces.

4 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Megan Warren said...

Gail
I love these collage pieces - I too
love asian collage, I have done a bit of it in the past, but I haven't done any collage for some time. But with the inspiration of these blogs, I have been encouraged to get back to it.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Please do, and please bring the results to the gallery!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

I too love all things asian- do I see a theme emerging?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Hmmm - possibly! You will see quite a bit of Asian art here, I think, because the gallery owner has a weakness for it *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home